Your curly hair extensions should look gorgeous and last as long as possible. But for this to be possible, proper care is critical.
The good news? Since Bebonia curly human hair extensions are made from Remy human hair, they can be styled and washed just like your regular hair.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when caring for your curly clip-in hair extensions:
- The more you wash style your curly extensions, the shorter their lifespan will be. So just like with your wash and go, you’ll want to try and prolong each curly hair extensions style as long as you can.
- If you use any kind of heat, hair extensions for curly hair are as prone to damage as your natural hair.
- Unlike your natural hair, curly hair extensions don’t benefit from scalp oils, so they have no natural hydration source—you’ve got to keep them hydrated with hair products.
Here's what we'll discuss in this post:
- How To Wash Curly Clip-In Hair Extensions
- The Best (and Worst) Products for Curly Hair Extensions
- How to Prevent Curly Human Hair Extensions From Tangling, Shedding, and Matting
- How to Store Hair Extensions That Are Curly and Clip In
How To Wash Curly Clip-In Hair Extensions
Step 2: Learn how to refresh your curly human hair extensions. If it’s time to wash your curly hair extensions, start by filling your sink with lukewarm water and a few pumps of your favorite shampoo. We recommend using products that are sulfate, alcohol, and paraben-free to prolong the life of your curly extensions. Place your curly hair extensions in the sink one at a time, and use light and gentle strokes from the weft down to the ends to cleanse the hair. This will also help avoid tangling. Then rinse any remaining cleanser with lukewarm water.
Step 3: Condition. You can use a conditioner or a hair mask. Apply once more from the clip down to the ends. If needed, you can detangle your curly clip-in human hair extensions with a wide tooth comb, working from the bottom up with small, gentle strokes. If you’re able to leave your curly hair extensions overnight to deep condition, do so. (Keep the extensions contained and out of the way by placing them in a shower cap).
Step 4: Rinse away most of the conditioner (leaving a little bit behind is fine) with cold water. This helps seal the cuticle.
Step 5: Apply a leave in conditioner and water-soluble styler. Gently rake the product through the hair from clip to ends. Then gently scrunch your curly extensions from the bottom up to encourage the curls. Lay your curly clip-in hair extensions on a flat surface, ideally on a microfiber towel. Let dry overnight. You can also diffuse your curly extensions if you want to speed up the process. Then you’re ready to rock your Bebonia’s!
The Best (and Worst) Products for Curly Hair Extensions
The best products curly hair extensions are "clean" products. Here are some of our favorite clean products on a budget.
The worst products you can use on your curly hair extensions are bleaching or lightening products. Just say no! Your curly human hair extensions will thank you.
How to Prevent Curly Human Hair Extensions From Tangling, Shedding, and Matting
The best way to avoid tangles in your curly extensions is with a proper wash and set (check out our how to wash guide here).
There are also a few key steps you can take to minimize damage to your curly clip-in hair extensions:
- Avoid styling methods that can cause excess tangling (like teasing)
- Avoid swimming with your curly extensions in
- Avoid sleeping with your curly extensions
- Avoid aggressive brushing (which can cause shedding)
- Use a proper brush (like a Denman detangling brush or wide tooth comb)
- Store your curly hair extensions properly (learn about hair extension storage here)
Sometimes tangling is inevitable, especially after a few wears. If you do find tangles and your curly extensions are currently installed, don’t panic. Starting from the bottom up, begin to slowly detangle your natural curls and curly extensions. If you feel any pull along your scalp from the curly extensions, gently lift the hair from the bottom to minimize tension, and slowly continue the detangling process. You can fill a spray bottle with equal parts conditioner and water if you need to create extra slip.
Once your curly hair extensions are removed from your head, you can tackle any tangles in the sink with a conditioner.
How to Store Hair Extensions That Are Curly and Clip In
When it’s time to store your curly extensions, pick a cool, dry place. You want to ensure the curly hair extensions are not exposed to direct sunlight as UV rays can break down hair, and cause the color to fade.
Ideally, you’ll want to use a case for storage. We love our Bebonia Storage Bag because it has a satin liner to help prevent frizz and won’t crush the curls. Some other alternatives are a silk pillowcase or a bonnet. Whatever container you choose, make sure you neatly place the curly extensions, one on top of the other. Never place curly hair extensions in a clump, as they can become entangled. Make sure wherever you place the case, your curly clip-in hair extensions will not be flattened.